Monday 4 April 2011

Fruity Monday: Strawberry Goat's Cheese Salad

Seeing the beautiful weather down here - sunny and 25 degrees C - my appetite has been on a very low simmer, strangely enough. This could also be because I had the Peanut Butter Banana Brownie for breakfast and a turkey 'scallopina' (which is special Italian way of preparing chicken, veal or turkey promise to post a nice recipe soon!) that filled me up big time...
Anyways, because of the lacking of my hunger, I seriously stood for 15 minutes in my supermarket thinking of what to cook and eat, going over all the blogs and recipes I have read in the past few weeks, in my head. I was feeling like having something fresh, healthy yet easy and exciting to post on here.
Then I thought of Jessica's Warm Strawberry Orzo Salad... But remembered I still had a few things in my fridge and cupboard such as aragula, peeled orzo and sunflower seeds and decided to make my version of the Strawberry Orzo salad. You gotta like fruit in your dinner, but trust me when I say that the flavours in this salad will make you want more... much more!!

Ingredients - two servings

  • 6 fresh Strawberries cut in little cubes
  • 2 handfuls of Aragula
  • 3 tablespoons of Sunflower Seeds (or pinenutseeds)
  • 50 gr of Goats cheese crumbles
  • 100 gr peeled Orzo (barley)
  • 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 2 tablespoons of Balsamic Glaze
  • pinch of Salt
  • 0.5 lemon juice
How to make it:
Bring a big pan of water with a fist of salt to a boil. Add the orzo and cook for circa 30 minutes. The orzo is ready when it is soft yet still with a firm bite to it - but this depends on your taste.
In the meanwhile roast the sunflower seeds in another pan without oil. Keep an eye on them because they are ready in a couple of minutes and burn easily.
Toss the seeds, strawberries, aragula, goats cheese, olive oil, balsamic glaze, salt and lemon juice in a salad bowl. 
Once the orzo is ready, rinse and add it immediately to the other ingredients in the salad bowl. The warm orzo will 'melt' the aragula and cheese making the salad really moist.

Strawberry Goats Cheese Salad
Outcome: Hmmm... it was.... setting my humbleness aside here... simply... AMAZING!!!!!!! 
Do you like recipes with fruit in it - suggestions? And have any light summery suggestions for an upcoming undecisive supermarket visit?

Buon Appetito
Chef Steph


4 comments:

  1. I accidentally deleted your comment on my blog :p Mommy brain. Anyway, this salad looks good, but if I had to vote I would pick sushi!! I LOVE SUSHI!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salad with fruit in it. I think one of my favourites is a green salad with chicken breast, chevre, nuts, strawberries and a yogurt dressing (plain yogurt, apple cider vinegar, grainy mustard, honey, salt and pepper) SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. check, check, check, check and check! thanks for the good tip for a a new salad and I don't even need to go to the supermarket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! Going to remember this when I can get fresh goat cheese at the Farmer's Market this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete