Saturday 21 May 2011

Lemon Muffins

It's sunny, life is good and that deserves some happy cooking.
What makes you happy?? 

Yellow makes me happy and well answer me this: what is a happier color than yellow????
Yellow stands for creative and intellectual energy, it symbolizes wisdom, means joy and happiness. People of high intellect appearently favour yellow, maybe because it is linked to gold and smart people want the money money money.... lalala... money money money! Yeah yeah money might not be the only thing that makes you happy - cos food already does - but it is an important factor to happiness - how else are you going to buy that food that will really make you happy?
Back to yellow....  Yellow brings clarity and awareness. It helps you make decisions and gives relief to those who suffer from burnouts, panic, nervousness and exhaustion. Furthermore it stimulates your concentration skills and therefore sharpens up your memory.
Makes me think of why, unconsciously I have been wearing lots of yellow lately, and reading the above, I realise it has actually helped a lot. My mind IS clearer, decisions have been made and I am smiling and bubbeling again. It might have been the clothes, but it might also have been the LEMON MUFFINS!!!!! My god were those babies good. I will no longer withhold you with my psycho-babble and just give you the recipe alright.

I got these from the BBC Food site made by James Martin. Tweaked it here and there with my own healthy freakness - but didn't change the taste a bit.

Ingredients: for 9-10 muffins

  • 2 eggs beaten 
  • 85gr brown bio sugar
  • 240ml half full fat milk
  • 100ml vegetable oil - sunflower oil
  • 300gr wholeweat flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 0.5 teaspoon salt
  • 4 biological lemons, zest only
How to make it:
Heat the oven up to 200 degrees Celcius, grease up the muffin cups or use paper cases. 
As all muffins, the trick is to prepare the wet ingredients seperately from the dry ones and then once you are done, you mix them all together.
Wet ingredients: mix the egg, sugar, milk and oil in a large bowl.
Dry ingredients: mix the flour, baking powder, salt and add the lemon zest.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix roughly. Don't mix too much as you don't want too much air to get into the mixture as that will stop them from rise the way they should.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups and put them in the heated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden.
Take them out and cool them on a wire rack - if you can resist.

Outcome: Happy happy happy happiness!!! 
Lemon Muffins
Buon Appetito
Chef Steph


1 comment:

  1. Steph, these really look wonderful. My family would love these. This is my first visit to your blog so I took a little time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete