Wednesday 4 May 2011

Cook to Impress: old school English Poached Eggs; the real deal

As mentioned before, I do not tend to give up easily. 
As seen on this very blog, my muffins went from scrunchy misshaped little things (yet always tasty) to beautiful american style fluffy popping on the top little cakes...  and to confirm that I did really learn from my mistakes, this weekend I made Lemon Muffins and I have witnesses that they turned out yum! Keep tuned for recipes...

OK enough with the cakes and back to the eggs. So poached eggs in the Hamilton family used to be done using the magic pan right? Well, as it isn't really what they serve in England, we decided to change our way of cooking it, and try to make the real deal. Quite a bit of a challenge.... but....
So on the famous easter-skype-date night when my family had the salmon, asparagus and eggs recipe, they tried (with me live on skype) to make real poached eggs. And it worked!!!!!!!
So I followed the tips my sis gathered this weekend, and guess what: it worked again. So on sunday I had breakfast in bed with freshly poached eggs, strawberry crackers and home made cappuccino. A smile appears on my face when thinking of it again, and I am secretly wishing of the days to fast forward to the weekend....

Ingredients:

  • super fresh room temperature biological eggs
  • 2 tablespoons of vinegar (white wine)
  • pinch of salt to taste
How to make it:
The true secret is to use super fresh eggs - preferably biological, and to take them out of the fridge 15 minutes or so before cooking them in order for them to get to room temperature.
Heat up a pan of water until boiling and when it boils, turn off the heat so that the the water returns to 90 degrees Celcius circa --> how the hell do you know when it's 90 degrees? When all the bubbles have disappeared!
Add the vinegar to the water and stir firmly with a spoon so that the water keeps turning.
Break the egg into a big soup spoon and then let it slip into the water gently. Make sure it falls into the water from a couple of cm's and not more. Because the water is turning, the egg white should twist and remain around the egg yolk. 
Let it stay/cook for 4-5 minutes.
If you like your egg slightly more well done than the usual runny poached egg: turn on the heat again at minute nr 2, but make sure it doesn't start boiling again.
Once it's done, take the egg out with a sieve spoon thing.

Outcome: your own real old school english poached egg!!! I still can't believe it!!!!! Next step is to serve it on fresh toasted scones with bacon and sauce hollandaise - just to keep you teased until next time... 


Poached Eggs
Cheers
The Hamilton Chefs

No comments:

Post a Comment