Thursday 24 March 2011

Classic: American Corn Chowder anyone???

A first contribution by our American Chef Stephanie! With many others to follow... 


Feeling just *this much* better about the winter weather after supper tonight. I made one of my favorite comfort foods. Corn Chowder.
Now the original recipe has been around since my Grandma was first married. My mother made a second draft of it, which is the bacon-grease spattered index card that I have currently in my possession (Grandma's recipe card is still in the family recipe box.)
Here's the recipe.....


Ingredients:

  • 4 cups potatoes diced = 
  • 2 cups Water boiling =
  • 1/4 lb Bacon
  • 1/4 cups Onion, chopped
  • 2 cups whole Kernel Corn
  • 2 cups Milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Parsley
How To Make It:
Cook potatoes in water for 15 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
Fry Bacon with onions in stock pot. Add potatoes and all remaining ingredients.
Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. 
ENJOY!

Outcome: What I do differently... I don't measure. I hardly ever measure (except when baking). So for me to give you my recipe... well I can't exactly. What I can do is tell you that I dice up about 4 potatoes, chop 1 medium sweet yellow onion, dice 1/2 package bacon and throw it all in my soup pot. I fry that all up and then I eyeball what looks to be enough corn and enough milk. I season to taste with fresh ground pepper, coarse sea salt, and garlic powder. Then I serve with a sprinkling of paprika and parsley flakes with toast or crackers on the side :). Makes enough to feed this family of four with some leftovers.

Corn Chowder
Enjoy!
Chef Stephanie from Stephanie Evers Writes






1 comment:

  1. Your corn chowder sounds delish AND healthy! Double score :D.

    ReplyDelete